House Thoughts and Queries

Heyla

In the little Primer, there is mention of Houses and their unique advantages. Elsewhere, there is discussion of creating your own House. Balance and coolness factor dictate that you really need to be able to do something amazing or epic and in result seize a unique advantage of your very own! I kind of like this thought, hard work and effort eventually meeting genius and heritage on its own terms... honestly, who does not like the idea of the underdog eventually becoming just as strong as the privileged elite?
Tagged:
TheWizardEmyr

Comments

• FinjinimoFinjinimo Posts: 245 Hero
    I"M GUNNA BUILD ME A HOUSE! (super rad awesome house).
    ...jiggly bits...
  • TheWizardTheWizard Posts: 828 Wizard
    @Alyxe, yes the idea behind Houses is that we need a way to combine players' efforts for a couple of different purposes. Players will start off as single combatants, building up their skills and gear to take other players on one-on-one. But soon, we want to give them the option to band together to create further interesting decisions.

Right now, the idea is to offer a player the ability to join a selection of Houses to create smaller communities, provide context, and create interesting community-wide drama (epic whatnot, as you say). You'll compete within your House for status and across Houses to further your House's influence and such.

The next step would be to form player-created ones (which @Finjinimo appears to already be ready for), but the spec for the early ones are rooted in the setting, which, of course, will be revealed little by little as we go...
    TheWizard
    I'll SMITE you
  • KjelfalconerKjelfalconer Posts: 99 Adventurer
    The House of Spelling, Punctuation and Grammar shall make it's triumphant return, like a Phoenix from the flames of tawdry writing! *insert maniacal laughter here*
    "Now remember kids- If you don't use environmentally friendly technology, a giant technicolour inter-dimensional ghost squid will come down from space and eat everybody."
    Haha, @Kjelfalconer, good pull. Shall we base a House on those TC principles?
    TheWizard
    I'll SMITE you
  • BoomvangBoomvang Posts: 40 Adventurer
    Build us a house based on ALL TC principles!
    Will we be able to pick and choose our houses?...
    Change houses if we desire?
    Finjinimo, can I rent a room in your house?
    edited September 2015
    So houses like in GoT?

Can we change allegiance or are we tied to one for ever and ever thus forcing us to create alts to play other houses and missing the opportunity for some mad drama?

eg. I am 3rd in command of Millhouse Lamehouse, Boomvang is some rad captain of House Kickarse. Boom offers me heaps mad cash to switch to his side during a heated contest between our houses. I think that sounds like a laugh, and bring a whole horde or players with me, causing anarchy and 'fun' for all.

Allowing players to do that creates drama... and even better, if there's something on our player profile that tracks allegiance and duration. So Boom can say he's been loyal to House Kickarse and The Awesomes his entire time playing. But when you look at my profile, it says I switch allegiance to a different house every month, and have a history of getting in, raiding the house treasury and then blowing it all in vegas... so giving me any kind of position of command is just asking for trouble, yes?
    ...jiggly bits...
    You guys are hitting on exactly what we're talking about over here-- the plan is for you to choose your House based on the advantages it gives you, the principles it stands for and the folks that are there. But yes-- you can switch. So react to this:

The idea is that you gain influence, ranking, etc in your House as you go. The gameplay is set to start out as mano y mano duel-style combat, so we can use how your character does in PvP battle (in-House, across-House or otherwise) to help us create all sorts of drama. Finji's idea about tracking is interesting (and could be set up relatively simply).

What other scenarios with Houses would you find interesting?
    TheWizard
    I'll SMITE you
    A part of me feel the House of The LU BU CLAN RECRUITING FOR COMING EMPIRE should also be a thing. Some memories just don't die.
    "Now remember kids- If you don't use environmentally friendly technology, a giant technicolour inter-dimensional ghost squid will come down from space and eat everybody."
    So all influence and ranking will reset with every house move? And stats like player level and skills will remain ( just buffered by house bonus)?
  • AlyxeAlyxe Posts: 16 Adventurer
    TheWizard said:

What other scenarios with Houses would you find interesting?

Consequences, positive and negative, due to House choice. Some options being more difficult or easier, that is in the advantages, but more like different results for the same action. The friendly house gets a friend or lets a defeated enemy escape and loots less, the vengeance house kills a noted foe or is attacked by more enemies than others, etc.

-a
    Inter-house politics. I love the idea that two houses can declare a feud, and then for the following week/month you get bonus points for dueling against them.

Feuds or Vendettas could be fun, and over time the player-base would naturally see the other house as traditional 'rivals', which naturally generates all sorts of fun story lines without having to involve the devs. The players can take ownership and drive that sort of thing on their own.

Look at football for example. Newcastle and Sunderland are traditional rivals, the cities are right next door to each other, but they hate the other team with a passion. When the play against each other, it's a huge local derby. The outcome matters immensely to the fans, but not so much to the league overall.

The fans drive that rivalry, adding drama to each of the matches those teams play against each other.

Enforced rivalry however, because the devs have 'reasons', not so much fun. I don't want to hate on another house because the game tells me I have to. I want to beatup on House Wizzie and the Mini-Skirt Magicians because one of their members looked at me funny.

Summary: Feuds generated by the players, that occur naturally over time, would be rad. Giving us a way to make them 'official' in game would be super cool awesome times.
    ...jiggly bits...
  • DarggieDarggie Posts: 125 Adventurer
    What I'd like to do is create a house who's trade is information, which way have been obvious from the RP and character introduction.

Here is a rough outline I have so far.

(Keep in mind, this isn't a group of evil people. The main reason they collect information is for survival. Knowing who is planning to attack where, their strengths and weaknesses, will allow us to stay one step ahead, or get clear before the fighting starts. Plus it's pretty easy to make allies, when you know their plans ahead of time)

Clandestinus is the house name.
    house crest/symbol - not yet decided.

You're darkest moments,
    your brightest days,
    They are known to us.

With the right price,
    it can stay between us,
    or bought from us.

Our primary way to supply and survive is on information. Our ears are always to the ground, and if the price is right, any knowledge is at our lips.

We also focus on discovery. A skilled group of calligraphers are with us, who map out extensively the information provided by our scouts. These scouts will scour the land to find treasures, information, stories ect.

Everyone is recruited for different reasons. Maybe they enjoy knowledge, maybe they enjoy finding lost treasures, maybe they are a quest to discover an old poem. Maybe they just enjoy causing chaos.

The only law of the guild is that spreading false information without approval by an appointed council, is strictly forbidden and will result is swift and immediate retribution.
    They call me the Crier. No, I don't cry a lot. I deliver news you uncouth barbarian.
    Boomvang said:
    So all influence and ranking will reset with every house move? And stats like player level and skills will remain ( just buffered by house bonus)?
    Not exactly, Boom. Your tenure in a House will matter (i.e., it will be taken into account when figuring out your House status), so there is indeed a downside to changing. BUT, there will also be compelling upsides to change. Perhaps your IRL allies are in another House and you want to band together. Perhaps you meet a rival who you like playing against and would like to play with for the next Season of the game. You may tire of the in-game advantage that your House bestows and want to try another.

But to your point about level and skills and such, yes-- those will be the things you take with you wherever you adventure...
    TheWizard
    I'll SMITE you
  • docgeodocgeo Posts: 45 Adventurer
    TheWizard said:
    You guys are hitting on exactly what we're talking about over here-- the plan is for you to choose your House based on the advantages it gives you, the principles it stands for and the folks that are there. But yes-- you can switch. So react to this: The idea is that you gain influence, ranking, etc in your House as you go. The gameplay is set to start out as mano y mano duel-style combat, so we can use how your character does in PvP battle (in-House, across-House or otherwise) to help us create all sorts of drama. Finji's idea about tracking is interesting (and could be set up relatively simply). What other scenarios with Houses would you find interesting?
    Bridging off this statement.  Can your actions gain/lose influence, in smaller amounts, within rival houses?

doc
    "Come on in stranger and have a drink....mind your boots on the floor"
    WizzyPoo at bedtime !
    ...I have the sneaking suspicion it might be smite time soon. You have my pity. But not my sympathy. No sympathy for the self inflicted. 
    edited September 2015
    Wizzy Poo.....is there a badge for "first smiled"? The "Order of Smitation"? I want it!
  • docgeodocgeo Posts: 45 Adventurer
    In the signature thread Wiz states he has developed a smite badge!

doc
    "Come on in stranger and have a drink....mind your boots on the floor"
  • AlyxeAlyxe Posts: 16 Adventurer
    please... that is such an easy attempt. you can o better. like...hrrrrm... no image work as i am on my phone...

Hey... you! That is right, you, the lazy Wizzarooni and Jedipoo, you STILL owe me Ancients backstory after how.many years? effin' slackers. -g-

-a
    Boomvang said:
    Wizzy Poo.....is there a badge for "first smiled"? The "Order of Smitation"? I want it!
    Ha, Boomvang, you know you can't ASK for it. No fun in that... (but Kjel is correct, thar be a badge...)
    TheWizard
    I'll SMITE you

docgeo said:
    Bridging off this statement.  Can your actions gain/lose influence, in smaller amounts, within rival houses?

Yes, the idea is that your actions will affect your standing within a House and your aggregate actions (with those others in your House) will gain/lose influence and affect the gameworld cross-House.
    TheWizard
    I'll SMITE you
    Ok Wizzy.....game on!
  • XeruXeru Posts: 93 Adventurer
    Perhaps there should be realms of Houses so to speak. Where as, the Main Houses could be for each country like royal Kingdoms of each area, but they can have smaller subhouses established within them, like Royal guards, special task force, politicians, etc. Or the option of empty countries with no rulers that, when taken, can have whole new Houses established later on. I also believe that their should be an established element within the houses of politics, trade, subterfuge, and treachery that can occur. Traitors, assassins, bribery, and the like.
  • XivlviXXivlviX Posts: 10 Adventurer
    Are these houses intended to be more representative of physical guilds, or of concepts? Are the members of the House of Balance a bunch of eerily calm cultist types or are they creatures touched by a certain godly element of existence? Does a house always represent a military force? 
  • SkwidSkwid Posts: 35 Adventurer
    House Keltic if I recall correctly from old tc ftw.
    Booooooooo Keltic!
    ...jiggly bits...
    XivlviX said:
    Are these houses intended to be more representative of physical guilds, or of concepts? Are the members of the House of Balance a bunch of eerily calm cultist types or are they creatures touched by a certain godly element of existence? Does a house always represent a military force? 
    This is a good line if questioning and @Xeru, hopefully this answers your question as well. The idea is that long ago, prior to the overrun of the continent, something we're calling the Collapse, there were great and glorious kingdoms and rulers and civilizations. These have mostly fallen into ruin over time, overrun by beasties, trampled by large nasties and in some cases, forgotten entirely. As the continent begins to be retaken, the new inhabitants of the land form Houses based on a common philosophy, belief, or objective.

We're designing the system such that it's both a group to compete with AND to compete on behalf of. You'll jockey for position within the House and your performance all over the game will help your House compete with other Houses. 

I'll focus on some House details in today's Game Dev Update to give you more to react to (and I'll post a link when it's up).
    TheWizard
    I'll SMITE you
    Right now, the system supports a set number of lore-based Houses, which have set bonuses and effects on your Character (also see game dev update for a few details). We're talking about a player-created system as well, but don't have that worked out yet, so let's keep talking about the starting a House thing you mentioned.

Answers:

A. Oh yes. The actions of the members of a House will determine not only their Influence, but will affect the way the gameworld narrative plays out.

B.  There's not a concept of who owns what region yet, but that's interesting. Right now, Influence is a macro concept, not a "this House owns Region X" concept. Rooting the Houses in specific geography is something we haven't worked through yet.

C. Same as B, but again-- these are interesting ways to richen the House effects. We're starting with how Houses band together groups of Characters, benefit them and pit them against each other, rather than a strategic dominate-the-world approach. Regional dynamics could play a part in the gameworld narrative, which is determined by aggregate player performance and accomplishments, though, so that's good food for thought. 
    TheWizard
    I'll SMITE you