House Thoughts and Queries

2»

Comments

• shortschrisshortschris Posts: 4 Mendicant
    How does the house system work for casual gamers, who may only log in once every couple of days or once a week? I'd it possible to progress in the game outside of a house (like a hedge knight or mercenary)? What happens if the leader of the house feels you don't contribute enough to the glory of the house and boots you, can you form your own house and run with just yourself until others join? Love the ideas tho, especially in pve with the game randomly hitting leading houses with enemies in quests if they are a successful house.
    drglory
  • TheWizardTheWizard Posts: 816 Wizard
    How does the house system work for casual gamers, who may only log in once every couple of days or once a week? I'd it possible to progress in the game outside of a house (like a hedge knight or mercenary)? What happens if the leader of the house feels you don't contribute enough to the glory of the house and boots you, can you form your own house and run with just yourself until others join? Love the ideas tho, especially in pve with the game randomly hitting leading houses with enemies in quests if they are a successful house.
    Great questions, all, and the short answer is that the House system is designed to let a player's level of involvement scale. 

[] Regarding progress outside a House - yes, in fact, one of the Houses is called House Ronin and it's precisely for the hedge knights of the world. It's for folks who don't want to team up and it will have its own benefits.

[] Regarding getting the boot - this is a game system, with Houses created by the game, not players, so you won't get the boot. If you want to climb the ranks of the House to figure more prominently in the competitions and events that involve Houses, great-- if not, no worries.

We're tinkering with smaller, player-created organizations, but this one is about adding richness and interesting choices to make in the course of your gameplay. And given your comment about the game doing things to Houses based on success (or other happenings), there will be plenty of that!
    TheWizard
    I'll SMITE you
    shortschris
  • XeruXeru Posts: 93 Adventurer
    TheWizard said:
    Right now, the system supports a set number of lore-based Houses, which have set bonuses and effects on your Character (also see game dev update for a few details). We're talking about a player-created system as well, but don't have that worked out yet, so let's keep talking about the starting a House thing you mentioned.

Answers:

A. Oh yes. The actions of the members of a House will determine not only their Influence, but will affect the way the gameworld narrative plays out.

B.  There's not a concept of who owns what region yet, but that's interesting. Right now, Influence is a macro concept, not a "this House owns Region X" concept. Rooting the Houses in specific geography is something we haven't worked through yet.

C. Same as B, but again-- these are interesting ways to richen the House effects. We're starting with how Houses band together groups of Characters, benefit them and pit them against each other, rather than a strategic dominate-the-world approach. Regional dynamics could play a part in the gameworld narrative, which is determined by aggregate player performance and accomplishments, though, so that's good food for thought. 

Let's try this again lol ( @TheWizard knows why)

Basically I can understand not rooting in a region. But, moving or rooted, I do believe the fundamental difference between a quest grinder guild and what Houses could become lies in versatility. And Giving them their own Economy gives them exactly that in my estimate. Here are some estimates of what Economy let's them do.

1. Bribe Politicians and such in regions to treat members of your House more favorably and let your Housemates set up more shops than other houses.

2. Bribe/Buy other House Members or Recruit newer members in order to manipulate the numbers of members among the Houses

3. Improve House Armory and stock and defenses, along with improve the buildings, trainers, and the like. Turn your House into the unassailable guild

4. Buy mercenaries, train warriors and soldiers and amass an army, forcibly take over other Houses and Regions.

5. Have Members buy their way into a high ranking position in the Political or (If there is one) Religious system of a region to gain a foothold.

Or other plentiful options. But, an Economy dynamic allows the option for you House to strategically outplay other Houses through varying methods, not just by having the most quests completed. How do they gain this economy though? Shops, quests completed, bounties accomplished, bribes accomplished, trade routes established, regions secured, areas defended, and rival bonuses for doing something better than your rivals, which brings the next element: Rival penalties

Say you win the Election/Bribe in Region X and your House hates House Hufflepuff? No problem, you can use money from the House Vault to impose Rival penalties such as Forceful disarming upon entering the town, Taxing them for buying anything in the town, to even branding them as criminals and not allowing them in at all and kicking them all out.

This type of Economy ties into my ideas for Camp Economy as well. And can tie into Region, Country, and World Economy. Basically, Micro to Macro to Global, and tying them all into each other to paint a beautiful narrative. Especially imagining the impact of rival penalties. Hate being banished from Rivertown and need to shop there for a certain supply? Your house can then either stage an assassination, steal, or start a war, or convince another House to aide you in this endeavor.

So many possibilities.
    Before I dive into some of these, for clarity-- by "Economy," you're suggesting a system of gain/loss for the Houses themselves? Like adding economic output from a House like goods or services?
    TheWizard
    I'll SMITE you
    Basically, yes, a system for houses to gain a sort of House Income that the House LEader or Leaders would determine how it would be spent, and it would be replenished and filled via a percent of earnings from shop purchases from House Shops, Completed Quests, and the like. It would be put into a House 'vault' if you will and then, this House money, would be used for House spendings of the things I mentioned. As well, it wouldn't be able to be borrowed from to line one's pockets, though other Houses could potentially steal maybe. Goods and Services from the House create a revenue for the House and in turn, they can use said Revenue to improve their House in varying fashions, or use it to potentially detriment other Houses.
    You bring up a very interesting point (that is currently not part of the design). It creates a potentially interesting system-- coming up with things to purchase. I'm thinking out loud here, but if there were things to purchase on behalf of the House, where all House member benefited in some form or fashion, that could be a reward based on the aggregate performance of that House in a Season (I haven't fully explained Seasons yet, but I will and you can guess what they will be).

The question then is how would you, the Players, decide on the choices, when there are potentially thousands of players in your House? 
    TheWizard
    I'll SMITE you
  • BoomvangBoomvang Posts: 40 Adventurer
    A house wide vote, a decision made by a house committee, blind luck of the draw....just so mane decisions 
    It could also be decided based on a Senate like method. In that we could give a certain amount of vote weight to players in a House based on their position and how many quests they completed towards the vote in question's funding.

There can also be special Votes or special prizes can be used for votes even, especially for other Houses or Quests. IE, betraying a House earns you a Vote in the new house or, very hard Quests earn the completors of said quest the right to create a potential purchase, or something

ideas a plenty here to create an air of competition.
    Competition indeed. And given the design right now is for the House to offer you three main things, we may not need to make group decisions until the system deepens. Those three things being:

[] Cooperative goals (e.g., win X number of battles this Season amongst all members of the House)
    [] Influence amongst other Houses (House v House competition)
    [] Influence within a House (rewards based on how you perform v your other House members)

TheWizard
    I'll SMITE you
  • HeromasterHeromaster Posts: 11 Mendicant
    So what about plundering other houses after Conquering or requiring tribute?