Punish! (on changing Houses)

TheWizardTheWizard Posts: 801 Wizard
edited September 2016 in Game Development Discussion
We've had some discussion on the Live Chat about Houses and tenure bonuses (check out @nezuja's House Preview on the Subreddit). To review, when you join a House in the game, you receive access to that House's features and receive a bonus that is either gameplay (like +1 STR) or economic (like 2% Gold drop) or both. Each week that you stay in that House, you will receive a Tenure bonus for sticking around, again either gameplay or economic. 

When you leave your House to go to another one (which you can do), you lose all those bonuses and start fresh at another House. This is the "soft" barrier we've put in place to both encourage loyalty and to give players flexibility. Since you also have Standing within your House (which gains you Seasonal bonuses), which is gained via play and victory in both PVP and PVE, you start over if you leave and go to another House.

But some of you have been throwing out other ideas, so let's hear 'em!
TheWizard
I'll SMITE you
Tagged:
TheLurker

Comments

• HollowHollow Posts: 37 MARKED
    edited September 2016
    Some of the ideas so far.

-Timetable for defecting (set amount of time when you drop that prohibits you from immediately joining another house).

-A larger reward/penalty the higher your standing is with your current house when you Betray.

-Added to bounty list in previous house. Symbol by name or something to show they defected. 
    NezujaTheMeek
  • iamnooneneiamnoonene Posts: 2 Mendicant
    What about this:
    When you receive your houses bonus it stacks to a cap. (eg +0.5 STR each week for 5 weeks)
    If you leave your current house and join another you will lose your 2.5 STR buff (house bonus) and will receive -5 STR immediately (penalty) which will slowly vanish after 5 weeks (eg -5 STR week 1, -4 STR week 2, -3 STR week 3, -2 STR week 4).  
    Nezuja
  • iamnooneneiamnoonene Posts: 2 Mendicant
    What about an economy like system where the house bonus everyone receives is proportional to the number of people joining and leaving the house. eg if there is a greater than 5% increase in the population of the house then the house bonus is doubled for the next week.

Nezuja
  • NezujaNezuja Posts: 88 mod
    When you leave a House, it would be cool for the current House Leader to acknowledge it in either a positive or negative way. (This idea is operating under the assumption that each House will have an npc acting as the true House Leader). So when players of a certain tenure level and House reputation decide to leave they get asked why they are leaving, if they chose an honorable reason the leader blesses there departure, if it's neutral the leader barely mentions them, if it's treasonous the leader puts them as such and puts a bounty on their head!
  • FinjinimoFinjinimo Posts: 238 Hero
    How about just pure psychological.

When you join a house it plays a crowd cheering sfx.

When you leave a house it plays a crowd booing sfx.

And what about if it's kind of like having an ex, in that before you used to get all the updates and know everything that was going on in the house. But after you leave, you still occasionally get updates but they are all along the lines of:

"We're doing very well, the house members who joined after you left are all very nice. I think it's good that we're seeing other houses, hopefully you will find one that makes you happy. In other news, little Timmy died of turburcluosis, but we will struggle on, fighting the good fight. Without you."

...jiggly bits...
  • DrakytheDrakythe Posts: 177 mod
    Been meaning to write this up. When this discussion came up on the live chat theorycrafter and I bounced some ideas back and forth:

What if in order to leave a House you had to beat some form of challenge? Specifically we discussed some sort of brawl. The difficulty of the brawl would depend on Your characters Tenure and House rank.

I have a couple of thoughts on this:
    1. It should not scale up with your character. A level 50 maxed armor character who joins a guild and decides to leave the next day should effectively be able to walk out. Lore wise I would justify this as the upper echelons of the House are smarter than to try and stop them. It should be able to scale down though, in order to prevent a low level character being prevented from leaving through some form promotion abuse.

2. Winning the fight would allow a character to leave with minimal punishment (They beat their way out of the house with all their gear and 'earned' their freedom from responsibilities). While losing the fight, a character is still let out of the House, but their penalty for doing so is much more severe.

Additionally, I think it would be good to have multiple forms of leave challenge, a brawl would be the most direct, but perhaps their could be challenges of lore (Give the house some Knowledge you possess before you leave as a token of goodwill). Or perhaps a special quest chain. Etc.
  • Psycho_MychoPsycho_Mycho Posts: 68 Adventurer
    Drakythe said:
    Been meaning to write this up. When this discussion came up on the live chat theorycrafter and I bounced some ideas back and forth:

What if in order to leave a House you had to beat some form of challenge? Specifically we discussed some sort of brawl. The difficulty of the brawl would depend on Your characters Tenure and House rank.

I have a couple of thoughts on this:
    1. It should not scale up with your character. A level 50 maxed armor character who joins a guild and decides to leave the next day should effectively be able to walk out. Lore wise I would justify this as the upper echelons of the House are smarter than to try and stop them. It should be able to scale down though, in order to prevent a low level character being prevented from leaving through some form promotion abuse.

2. Winning the fight would allow a character to leave with minimal punishment (They beat their way out of the house with all their gear and 'earned' their freedom from responsibilities). While losing the fight, a character is still let out of the House, but their penalty for doing so is much more severe.

Additionally, I think it would be good to have multiple forms of leave challenge, a brawl would be the most direct, but perhaps their could be challenges of lore (Give the house some Knowledge you possess before you leave as a token of goodwill). Or perhaps a special quest chain. Etc.
    The scaling idea makes sense and would seem like a common sense rule to have in place. The only thing I don't like about the fighting idea is that people have a potential to leave with little repercussions (other than losing the buff from the house). If someone joined the house on Day 1 of the server opening, then decided to leave at the 1 year mark, then they are probably the top individual in the house and should get punished for leaving it after so much loyalty into it (if that makes sense). The fight would allow them to potentially leave for "free". 

Two ideas I thought of while typing this are:

1. Having a voting system for members in the house. If someone is caught as being a spy for another house, then a vote (with say 63% approval) would kick them out of the house. Not sure how penalties would work with this though.

2. Allow a house to fight in order to steal a player (with the players blessing of course). Not sure where I'm going with this yet, or what the restrictions would be, just throwing it out there!
    "Do not trust everything you read on the internet" - Abraham Lincoln
  • OponnOponn Posts: 9 Mendicant
    edited October 2016
    You should be marked a traitor for a month and be on a bounty list during that time.
  • TheLurkerTheLurker Posts: 11 Adventurer
    I Like Nezuja's suggestion;

"When you leave a House, it would be cool for the current House Leader to acknowledge it in either a positive or negative way. (This idea is operating under the assumption that each House will have an npc acting as the true House Leader). So when players of a certain tenure level and House reputation decide to leave they get asked why they are leaving, if they chose an honorable reason the leader blesses there departure, if it's neutral the leader barely mentions them, if it's treasonous the leader puts them as such and puts a bounty on their head!"
    Go Exiles of Embermark or go Home!!
  • TheWizardTheWizard Posts: 801 Wizard
    You know, we haven't been operating under the assumption that an NPC is the House leader, but it's in discussion. Do you guys prefer that it's characterized with NPC or that it's ALL you guys as players?
    TheWizard
    I'll SMITE you
    TheWizard said:
    You know, we haven't been operating under the assumption that an NPC is the House leader, but it's in discussion. Do you guys prefer that it's characterized with NPC or that it's ALL you guys as players?
    Interesting. I don't know how an npc would be able to "judge" whether or not a player leaving would qualify as treasonous or not. There would be ways to work around that.

It would probably make more sense for a player to be anointed that ability (much like a normal player run guild) - I don't know if this would be tenure based  or player voted. 
    Oh I see. I interpreted the NPC thing as simply a way to characterize the House, not that the NPC would have any judgment either way. More lore-ishness is what i was thinking (and I think I like that... hmmm...)
    TheWizard
    I'll SMITE you
  • DarggieDarggie Posts: 125 Adventurer
    Well my suggestion is less about in-game stats and more about lore/story.

If you guys are keeping track of statistics like house reputation, and contributions to a house. It would be a major thing for one of the largest contributors to a house, to change houses. So it may impact side-stories going on.
    They call me the Crier. No, I don't cry a lot. I deliver news you uncouth barbarian.
    edited December 2016
    I agree with darggie. High ranking house members switching to other houses would definitely change the story. I think there should be a wait period of some time before players can rejoin a house to avoid stacking a tournament. People could still do it and lose their reputation time, but they would have to plan it after a timer or something.
    Ah yes, that's good stuff guys. Major exodus(es) from a House of high-ranking folks is certainly cause for drama and story... gotta think about that one... good suggestion!
    TheWizard
    I'll SMITE you
  • GladorGlador Posts: 39 Adventurer
    Really late to the party but it was something that I just thought about.

If a player during the middle of the season left a house would the points that they had gathered within that house stay there? or would those accumulated points follow them to the new house (This would break the game really)

Might sound like a stupid question but its just something I wanted cleared up.
    edited April 20
    @Glador in my opinion, I think you shouldn't be able to leave a house once an event has started. Assuming the player has already contributed. However, if they do end up allowing it I think the progress should still stand. 

It leaves room room for people to have Alts in other houses to leave and bomb tournaments for their mains house.
  • GladorGlador Posts: 39 Adventurer
    Possibly only able to change houses in between the end of a season and the start of a new one?
    Yes, thank you for that perspective. This is a hot topic at Gunslinger right now as we prepare to do some work on Houses-- still no definite answer, but these opinions are super helpful, keep em coming!
    TheWizard
    I'll SMITE you