Camp. Let's get a bit.

Comments

• FinjinimoFinjinimo Posts: 259 Hero
    Xeru said:

I just love the level of element in character domain customization of making it your domain vs making it only your point and click chore zone.
    Yes. This bit.
    ...jiggly bits...
  • TheWizardTheWizard Posts: 836 Wizard
    Ah yes, and Camp will indeed have some development. Inter-Minion drama is an interesting add.

What I can confirm is that there isn't a feudal system per se (with territory you own and whatnot). The world will be the place for you to pop around to engage in Battles and Quests in, and your Minions will venture to various areas as well to do your Character's bidding.

So in the absence of land/territory, how would you have your Minions benefit your Character beyond simple "go-get-the-thing" missions?
    TheWizard
    I'll SMITE you
  • DrakytheDrakythe Posts: 203 mod
    @TheWizard ;
    If inter-minion drama is going to be a thing, an immediate benefit that springs to mind is a 'peacemaker' task. You could have a charismatic minion (if such a thing is measured for them) reduce camp tensions, reducing the possibility of trouble, at the cost of nothing 'productive' getting done.

Another possibility is sending a minion out on a Scouting mission, possibility of finding resources (which open up unique 'go-get-the-thing' missions), being forewarned of enemy attacks (resulting in a small defensive bonus), or possibly the minion becoming injured (and rarely even dying? I'm not sure if I like that...) and being unable to be used the following day as they recover. The scout might also discover and open up new areas of the map for your champion to explore

A final idea (and I might be stretching things here) would be for a minion to devote time to creating a luxury for the camp (I'm thinking big, inventive projects here: portable hot bath, more luxurious beds, etc) that increases the appeal of your camp, thus making it easier to attract minions. This could also be extended to other items, spyglasses for better scouting success, an alert horn for defensive bonuses, etc. 
  • XeruXeru Posts: 93 Adventurer
    To add onto this idea, why don't we also give the Minions jobs and create a sort of economy within the camp to interface with other camps?

This is my thought here. You will have the skill of Blacksmithing, but this skill is based on the level and mount of Smith minions you possess. Using these minions, you smith something like Iron Sword.

This iron sword then becomes available in your Camp Shop from your Shopkeeper minions, who other people can also buy items from. When money is spent at the shop, it's added to the Camp Treasury(Separate from Player Gold) And Camp Treasury gold can be used for things like training better minions, buying more minions, upgrading merchandise in shops, and buying specialty missions potentially.

In essence, this idea is to create a circle of you do something in order to make an item, that item once it's made, is available in the shop permanently. So if you make it before others or they don't know how, you encourage people to buy from you. And if not, you buying puts money in treasury to improve the minions, camp, and quests. Then, use things found in quests and stuff to improve the camp, and the camp stuff to improve you.

Possible minions include Shopkeeper, Blacksmith, Zookeeper, Alchemist, Librarian, Class Trainer, Enchanter, and potentially others that escape me at this time. Combine this with quest and mission minions, and it makes managing minion population fun and interesting. You could even make quests that are only able to be done by certain types of minions to add challenge factor. Which brings the next idea: Minion trading

Is your camp missing a blacksmith and you no longer feel you need your alchemist? Trade him over to someone else and voila, player interaction.
  • helpicantflyhelpicantfly Posts: 111 Adventurer
    Is there a limit on the number of minions?
    ship builder
    healer
    engineer
    recruitment
    tailor
    merchant
    security
    thief
    diplomat 

i would have my minions do the following..
    keep camp fire burning and a meal to replenish my( health/energy?)
    gather resources wood food metal ores 
    run a market for trading
    equipment refining ie sharpen weapon polish shield/armour 
    researching -maps-weapon-armour-potions-
    scribe to keep/record of achievements and fill the book with new discoveries. 
    sure other will add to this ....

Touch my food, feel my Fork.
    For max number of types of minions, that would be regulated by the best minion type, that I just thought of

The Leader Minions. Amount and level increase total minion count, max levels of minions, and what kinds of minions you have access to.
  • KjelfalconerKjelfalconer Posts: 99 Adventurer
    But is the leader minion is surely me, no? I'd hate to be one of those royals who does nothing.
    "Now remember kids- If you don't use environmentally friendly technology, a giant technicolour inter-dimensional ghost squid will come down from space and eat everybody."
    I'm thinking the Leader Minions would be more like the Mayors of Minionville, and you are the President. They manage the day to day of the minion population and are where all minion related stuff is interfaced to you, the player. 
  • KjelfalconerKjelfalconer Posts: 99 Adventurer
    Clearly then they haven't heard how neurotic and controlling Mr President is then~
    "Now remember kids- If you don't use environmentally friendly technology, a giant technicolour inter-dimensional ghost squid will come down from space and eat everybody."
    OK, in order (apologies, I'm just catching up in this thread):

@Drakythe first: I love all of that-- but let's tweak the thing you said about a minion having effects on camp tensions or forewarning about attacks-- since the camp won't generate "stuff" like a sim game or an empire building game, it's all focused on your Character, your hero, your Paragon (cue awesome music). So the function of the minion is to get stuff for the Character, do stuff for the Character or improve the Camp's environs in such a way as to benefit the Character. 

Your idea about the minion creating a Camp that will attract more is right on-- an interesting angle that we'll talk about as we work through how you "get" them into your service.

As far as the "dying" idea-- that's part of the design. When you send your guys off to get something, kill something, etc, they will enter into multiple combats on the way. It will auto-execute (i.e., you won't have to actively direct their battles), but it will be real. And when you check on their progress, you will have to decide whether to bring them back prior to their ultimate goal, lest you 

a) lose them
    b) lose them for a little while
    c) get some other penalty or forfeit whatever treasures they've found along the way (and they will)
    TheWizard
    I'll SMITE you
    @TheWizard ;so it be more of make me packed lunch
    brew potions to increase my str speed int dex etc
    adjust armor make refinement to weapons etc
    and of course finding the treasure 
    that kind of thing ?
    Doodles while waiting his turn

@helpicantfly, well yes and no. Yes that those types of things would be done, but no in that the type of minion will determine what they can do and whether they'll be any good at it. And you'll have to manage their success. That make sense?

And @xeru, my bad-- which question are you waiting on? (/always appreciates a good doodle) 

TheWizard
    I'll SMITE you
    Xeru said:
    To add onto this idea, why don't we also give the Minions jobs and create a sort of economy within the camp to interface with other camps?

This is my thought here. You will have the skill of Blacksmithing, but this skill is based on the level and mount of Smith minions you possess. Using these minions, you smith something like Iron Sword.

This iron sword then becomes available in your Camp Shop from your Shopkeeper minions, who other people can also buy items from. When money is spent at the shop, it's added to the Camp Treasury(Separate from Player Gold) And Camp Treasury gold can be used for things like training better minions, buying more minions, upgrading merchandise in shops, and buying specialty missions potentially.

In essence, this idea is to create a circle of you do something in order to make an item, that item once it's made, is available in the shop permanently. So if you make it before others or they don't know how, you encourage people to buy from you. And if not, you buying puts money in treasury to improve the minions, camp, and quests. Then, use things found in quests and stuff to improve the camp, and the camp stuff to improve you.

Possible minions include Shopkeeper, Blacksmith, Zookeeper, Alchemist, Librarian, Class Trainer, Enchanter, and potentially others that escape me at this time. Combine this with quest and mission minions, and it makes managing minion population fun and interesting. You could even make quests that are only able to be done by certain types of minions to add challenge factor. Which brings the next idea: Minion trading

Is your camp missing a blacksmith and you no longer feel you need your alchemist? Trade him over to someone else and voila, player interaction.

For max number of types of minions, that would be regulated by the best minion type, that I just thought of

The Leader Minions. Amount and level increase total minion count, max levels of minions, and what kinds of minions you have access to.
    ^ This one @TheWizard ;
    @TheWizard ;
    Yep all clear.
    Bump @TheWizard ;
    Fist bump?
    Hey @Xeru, apologies on needing the fist bump. You can count on many different types of followers showing up to do your bidding, and I'll get into detail in an upcoming Game Dev Update. 

The idea for creating an economy across camps is an interesting one, though it's not in scope for this first round. BUT you will definitely be affecting your own Character's chances for success and gaining crucial items, information and leads to Quests from your followers which will send you in many different directions.

Your examples of types is spot on, though. They will have strengths and weaknesses and be more or less suited to the missions that become available for them to go on for you.
    TheWizard
    I'll SMITE you
    First round -Curiosity peaks-
    Well, take a look around this rendering of Camp that @BIGDIRTYmitch did, and you'll get an idea of what parts of the game will be readily accessible from the opening screen (and don't worry, there will be secrets). We're designing around this for the Camp experience and will outline each of them as we go:

cc: @Xeru, @Finjinimo, @Drakythe, @Alyxe, @Musashi, @BearKiddy, @helpicantfly, @Kjelfalconer, @Darggie
    TheWizard
    I'll SMITE you
    Darggie
  • BearKiddyBearKiddy Posts: 4 Mendicant
    That's gorgeous! I'll be honest, I get abit of a solid infinity blade/dark souls vibe, but with multiplayer added in. Huh,... Is there a way you can make monster classes, say if someone wants to be something other than a human? 
    TheWizard
  • MusashiMusashi Posts: 10 Adventurer
    Looks really good, just a small irk i have is the proportions of the further objects in respect to the closer objects XD just me being picky :p
    Musashi
    The Continuum Veteran
    Youtuber/Live Streamer
    you mean cuz we exaggerated them, @Musashi ?
    TheWizard
    I'll SMITE you
    where is the book in the picture ?

• DarggieDarggie Posts: 125 Adventurer
    where is the book in the picture ?

This.
    They call me the Crier. No, I don't cry a lot. I deliver news you uncouth barbarian.
  • MusashiMusashi Posts: 10 Adventurer
    TheWizard said:
    you mean cuz we exaggerated them, @Musashi ?
    @TheWizard No, I mean the way the way items that should look distant do not really look distant. Its a perspective thing.. looks awkward to me but I understand why it is the way it is here :p
    Musashi
    The Continuum Veteran
    Youtuber/Live Streamer
    which book do you mean @helpicantfly & @Darggie? (apologies, I'm a wizened wizard)

TheWizard
    I'll SMITE you

Musashi said:
    @TheWizard No, I mean the way the way items that should look distant do not really look distant. Its a perspective thing.. looks awkward to me but I understand why it is the way it is here :p
    Ah, i totally get it. Yes, this is very stylized. The ultimate manifestation of the Camp will probably be some 3D elements and some 2D, which I will of course share before I should. Like this:

TheWizard
    I'll SMITE you
  • DarggieDarggie Posts: 125 Adventurer
    TheWizard said:
    which book do you mean @helpicantfly & @Darggie? (apologies, I'm a wizened wizard)

That book
    They call me the Crier. No, I don't cry a lot. I deliver news you uncouth barbarian.
    thanks crier @Darggie for above picture .