AMA #2 Transcript

Below is my best shot at a transcription of the AMA. My apologies for being so late about it. If you think I missed anything, or you have a question that was not answered, please feel free to comment below. If you'd like to review the complete AMA, bunny trails, loot rolls, and other shenanigans, jump on to discord and browse the #ama channel. The following is edited for typos and formatting.

SecretOwl:
What is the general design direction for rogues? How will bow rogues differ from stabby rogues?
TheWizard:
Rogue are very different than what you've seen from the Warriors and Mages. Where the Warrior has builds for damage and defense, and Mages have glass cannon and crazy buff/debuff effects, the Rogue has a ton of nuance.
His are combinations-- the stealth + backstab, the follow-ups, the set em up knock em down
Right now, there isn't the concept of ranged weapons, @SecretOwl, but i'll explain in terms of his specialty trees:
Where the Assassin is about crits and damage, the Shadow is about stealth and surprise effects and the Thief is about screwing with your mind
remember, your gear has a bunch of effects on what to use (there's a stat question coming up which will give you more clarity on that comment)

Via Reddit:
"About how many pieces of equipment will a character have?”
TheWizard:
TONS. There's 13 slots for equipment and you will need all sorts of different gear to be successful in different PVE and PVP situations

Via Reddit:
"How many different stats are there?”
Via Reddit:
"Are they more in depth than just int increases magic damage?”
TheWizard:
Yes, there are 2 to 3 effects for each of the core stats (like STR, INT, etc). Without getting into all of them, here’s an example: Strength does indeed increase weapon damage (as you’d expect), but a percentage of STR is also added to your HP, and it also reduces damage from Cold and Crushing sources. Each of the stats helps with some kind of specific resistance. Our aim there is to give each of the stats relevance to all the classes in some form or fashion.(edited)

Via Reddit:
"What features in the game will allow my character to be unique?”
TheWizard:
Well, this will be an increasing list, but your name, your load outs, your build, your House choices, your Motivations and your performance will all go into making your character unique. We will also be adding visual distinctions over time.
bigdirtymitch: yea, face presets, hairstyles, etc. being able to make your character looks unique from everyone elses

Evilteddy:
Other then the card game what extra leisurely activities are you considering adding into the game

Via Reddit:
"Approximately how many turns would a pvp encounter have?”
TheWizard:
We’re seeing most evenly matched battles go about 6 or 7 rounds. at about 10 seconds a pop, that ends up a little over a minute

Twitch:
so 3-4 turns per player?
TheWizard:
ah, glad you said that @Twitch. No. every round, BOTH players go. it's a WEGO system. not i go, you go

SecretOwl:
Is that with the variance added by the deck mode?
Singme Asong:
@SecretOwl early testing is showing Deck Mode at around the same round duration

Twitch:
that begs the question how simultaneous lethal dmg will work
TheWizard:
@Twitch, there is initiative, so in that scenario whoever won intitiative would win
SPD matters!

bitmap:
When can we expect the first closed beta relase? What are the advantages of being the "First"?, will you reset the progress from closed beta?
TheWizard:
@bitmap i don't have a date for you, but we will be rolling it out in small chunks before we invite everyone. Advantages to being among The First are both recognition and STUFF, but we'll post that when we get there. Yes, we will reset many times during closed testing.

Via Reddit:
"In what way will we be able to bring strategy into our pvp encounters outside of just debuffs, heals, and doing damage. Is there any buildup? In what ways will we be able to outplay our opponent?”
TheWizard:
Yes, there are Abilities and Talents that have buildups or combos. A couple of examples of this are Charges and the talents in the Berserker tree. With Charge you can lay stacks of it (if you’re a Mage) on a foe and use another Ability to use the Charges to deliver devastating damage. With the Berserker tree, many of the talents (and some of the Abilities) don’t kick in unless you’re hurt! And then you flip out and do horrible things to the opponent.

Via Reddit:
"What kind of balance will be struck between free to play players and those who buy chests or whatever the mechanism is for getting in game items?"
TheWizard:
Free players can play and quest and loot all they like. Will paying players get more loot faster? Yes. Might they get better stuff faster? Also yes. But they can find the same stuff in most situations (events excluded)

Hollow:
Will players be evenly matched in ranked matches or will it be based on record?
TheWizard:
@Hollow the ranking system will match you in ranked play (+/- 1 of your Rank)
but in Normal and Search bouts, you can be matched on various criteria like level, House, Class, etc
Singme Asong:
@Hollow we want to match you as fair as possible as fast as possible, so in ranked we start with +/- 1 range and expand that outwards to get you into a match quickly if no one fits that criteria. we may expand the smarts of the matching system to look at things like relative power of gear, time played, and other aspects of the proposed opponent as well but as the Wizard said, in normal you can search for an opponent by criteria of your own choosing, including level, affiliated house, rank, etc
WhisperSign

Comments

• DrakytheDrakythe Posts: 170 mod
    edited May 22
    Part 2, as I hit the forum character limit with the first post. 

drakythe:

If you end up matched with a user who is +2 ranks ahead of you, do you gain more prestige/ranking/whatever than if you beat someone who is even or only +1 rank from you?
    Singme Asong:
    @drakythe in the case you were facing an opponent at a higher rank you would stand to gain more and they to lose more but hopefully we can find you an opponent at your rank and don't put you in that scenario often

Via Reddit:
    "How diverse will skills be? What kind of trees are there if trees are used?”
    TheWizard: 
    Very. 3 Classes at launch, with 3 trees a piece. Each tree has about 20 talents apiece, and you can spend multiple Talent Points in most of them. Lots of choices.

bitmap: 
    Will the game support mfi controllers
    TheWizard: 
    @bitmap nopers. this is a strategy battle game, you don't need a twitchy controller. just your thumbbbbb

Versive: 
    Do you intend for crafting to produce lesser/similar/greater quality compared to nominal questing loot? Do you intend for items to wear out?
    TheWizard: 
    here's the basics:
    mostly the same, but there WILL be items you can ONLY craft (via recpies and Forge Random)
    (meaning mostly similar, to use your question's wording)
    items do not currently wear out

Via Reddit:
    "looking at the GDC videos, it looks like you can go anywhere bon the map at anytime (fast travel everywhere). Is that the case or will you only be able to move from one position to another? (i prefer the latter)”
    TheWizard:
    It’s a little different than either of those. The map does function like a Google Map, where you can pan and zoom all over the place, but only certain Zones (and only certain activities within those Zones) will be available to you, based on what you’ve previously accomplished. Zones not yet opened will be shrouded in fog-of-war, Quest locations not available to you yet won’t show up and there will be hidden things too. The idea is to let you fast-travel… to only those places you’ve achieved in the fiction of the game.

Via Reddit:
    "What's your take on Guilds? Will there be any? Any GvG? How social they will be? - Raid Bosses (World Bosses) - will we be able to kill some large monsters either as a guild or a group? - What's the current PvP situation? - Since it's an RPG are we going to have a "Support" class? Not a DPS, but a regular support class that could help during XvX PvP, GvG or World Events/Bosses?”
    TheWizard: 
    Houses are like macro guilds and we will eventually have a smaller guild system, after we’ve established some of the House dynamics and how they work. House competitions will be around from the get go and eventually there will be GVG. Raid bosses do exist. At first, they will be boss baddies where it takes a bunch of shots from characters to bring down. There won’t be a typical Support class until we head into more than 1v1 combat, so stay tuned there.
    TheWizard: sorry, Raid Bosses WILL exist. I know you lot and you'll come smite me too. There's a plan for it in endgame systems. Not implemented yet! Exiles launches 1v1

bitmap:
    Will you be able to change your house
    TheWizard:
    yes

bitmap:
    How complicated will be the game? Is it hardcore or casual friendly or both?
    TheWizard:
    both it starts simple and gets deeeeep

Via Reddit:
    "How is the best loot in the game acquired?”
    TheWizard:
    Depending on your definition of “best” this topic has several answers. Playing the game (and winning) to get drops will be how much of your loot is acquired. Drops will have everything from Common to Legendary items in them. You can earn or buy Chests (with gold or IAP) which are essentially drops with 5 things in them. There will be exclusive loot that is either cosmetically or statistically awesome that will be earned from events, tourneys and that type of thing. Participation in certain events will also garner cool loot. Additionally, some loot will only be able to be gained via Season rewards (from your Rank in a Season, your House’s rank, or your own standing within a House). So that’s a long-winded way of saying “lots of ways.”

SecretOwl:
    Is there any loot you can only get through IAP?
    TheWizard:
    not at this time, Owl. But we reserve the right to piss you off. there's my dodge for the day, Owl. I really don't know, and i know exactly how you guys feel about it. how about no to game-breaking stuff cosmetically, almost definitely
    SecretOwl: 
    Something else I wouldn't mind seeing is IAP armor that levels with you automatically until level 40 for alts
    TheWizard:
    that's a great idea Owl

bitmap: 
    Will there be VIP packages or monthly subs.
    A conversation followed, people seem to dislike the idea of VIP, but be on board with Subs. Wizard participated and took feedback.
    TheWizard: 
    ok good, cuz we plan on doing subs-- getting a better rate of return or efficiencies cuz of subscription seems fair to me

nezuja:
    but what's the info you guys have so far on subs I wonder?
    TheWizard:
    no real info yet, Nez. I'm just saying philosophically

Evilteddy:
    Will there be matching set bonuses?
    TheWizard:
    yes

bitmap:
    Post a picture from the game that you never shared with us before
    TheWizard: 
    great one, @bitmap cuz i prepared 2
    i grabbed them to illustrate the travel question
    here's two map shots at differing zoom

SecretOwl:
    Zooming with pinching is nice. How do I zoom with one hand?
    TheWizard: 
    AH HA. i was hoping you'd as that @SecretOwl and .knows you're trying to trip him up. but you double click to zoom. BOOYAH. ONE HAND
    SecretOwl: 
    Awesome! How about back out?
    WhisperSign
  • DrakytheDrakythe Posts: 170 mod
    Part 3 and final

30xtra:
    How do you feel about the expectations behind this game? There's obviously been a quiet momentum building with the online community, posts on TouchArcade, etc. Does it hugely affect your dev process or are you guys pretty locked in?
    TheWizard: 
    ok, @30xtra -- we're aware of it, but it doesn't affect dev-- we're just trying to make the best thing we can, and get as many of the good ideas we like into it
    Singme Asong:
    @30xtra I would say the biggest impact the expectations have on the development of the game are things like this AMA and the forums where the community gives us feedback/shares ideas and we listen to what they're saying and take that into account with our own plans. I can only speak for myself but the expectations don't have a direct impact on my day-to-day development responsibilities.

2Cool4U: 
    Repeat, sorry. "How long is the grind to get to the max level (I've seen 50, but does it go higher?) and how much "after-game" is there? Like when you get maxed stuff/level, is there more campaign/tournaments/things you can do?”
    Singme Asong:
    @2Cool4U we'll be playing with the timing to level cap throughout beta and soft launch to find the right fit. Right now it is 10+ hours. 50 is the cap so it currently doesn't go over that. We've got several end game things planned both PvE like dungeons/raids and PvP tournaments other events you can enter

nezuja: 
    What kind of social interactions are going to be in the game? Integrations to Facebook/Twitter or in-game chat vs. Discord?
    TheWizard:
    you will be forced upon 1st launch to connect to facebook, twitter and myspace or you will crash. real answer: you don't have to link squat. but yes, there will be some social integrations. you'll be able to share your character, send bouts to others, etc. using the usual social outlets. all optional. We are figuring that [chat] out now-- we know we need some in-app tools, but don't have the plan for chat, etc yet. that's a TBD 

Evilteddy:
    Do I have to create alt accounts to make an alt or will I be able to make Alts from one account?
    TheWizard:
    @Evilteddy we already have the feature to create multiple characters on one account. not sure how we'll roll that out yet, but you won't have to make multiple accounts

Versive:

Will there be item trading between characters? If so how to prevent twinking or is that a concern?
    TheWizard:
    no plan for trading yet, @Versive

DailyDevil:
    Are there any benefits for a player once they join a house?
    Nezuja: 
    I know this one! Yes you get stat bonuses (Tenure Bonuses) the longer you stay with each house.

Soxrobin:
    Will house scores be based solely on PvP, or will PvE play a part as well?
    TheWizard: 
    @Soxrobin both

2Cool4U: 
    Will you add another video to the YouTube channel (plz plz plz a full battle/dungeon)?
    TheWizard:
    @2Cool4U yes, but i have to get @nezuja to bust my chops a little more first 
    WhisperSign
  • wmcnzwmcnz Posts: 4 Mendicant
    Great job @Drakythe much easier to read without all of the loot rolls and other shenanigans. 
    DrakytheWhisperSign