Traits

What traits do would we like hmmm?
Touch my food, feel my Fork.

Comments

• helpicantflyhelpicantfly Posts: 111 Adventurer
    Roar 
    Pro Scares opponent. (Miss a go)
    Con you get a soar throat (no casting spells)
    @thewizard that kind of thing ?

• TheWizardTheWizard Posts: 836 Wizard
    Yes, think of Traits this way: where Abilities are Active (you "play" them in a Battle), Traits are innate and not triggered by the player ACTIVELY. Here's why I just yelled "actively:"

-A Trait can be something like "Brave" and you simply gain +2 STR and AWR (Awareness).

-A Trait can be both positive and negative like "Stubborn" where you gain CON (Constitution) but lose AWR

-A Trait can have a Reaction, which is triggered by the hit or miss by the Enemy. Example: Your Character has Vindictive, which adds a retaliation of 5 DAM (Damage) everytime the Character is hit.

So there will be many choices and customizations on this front in the Trait system. 
    TheWizard
    I'll SMITE you
    uittsm
    @thewizard

so  we gain said traits by what we do in battles
     how the house we are in performs
     quests 
    Any other ways ?
    (i was kind of thinking of the wild west with two gunslingers eyeing each other for a tell (you know a sign for when to draw there gun)
    so if you choose the right moves to counter the opponents choice  you could gain 
    anticipation
    pro dex,awr,int,spd.
    not sure if that's the kind of thing you were thinking ?
    The plan is for you to choose them as you go through the Character's development, so at -- say-- level 5 you might choose between several Traits which will further your customization towards the way you like to play.

The idea of gaining them through a play style is very interesting though. Make choice, take on a Trait?
    TheWizard
    I'll SMITE you
    Zeabeon
  • TalinTalin Posts: 22 Adventurer
     I think that while you are being vindictive and gaining that bonus damage because Finj just put a dent in your new codpiece, that you should have a penalty to int or dex maybe both because you aren't thinking quite as clearly and you are focused on making him pay dearly for that dent, not to mention getting sand in your hair after you just bathed
    SkwidTheWizard
    @TheWizard yeah i figured your not born brave but by your actions you would gain that reputation.
    So following on from like the scars you don't have them you earn them i'm sure some traits you could have at set lvls if that's the way your going i just thought that as your making choices that should effect what traits you gain.

The idea of gaining them through a play style is very interesting though. Make choice, take on a Trait?
    SO thats a big yes please.
  • whackapplewhackapple Posts: 14 Adventurer
    Cantankerous Gnome: When hit, has a 20% chance to come out and kick your opponent in the shins. Or maybe whack them in the knee with a gnome-sized hammer.
    Skwid
    Indeed, @whackapple! A Trait that's a gnome that runs out from below your robe? Or emerges from under your hat? Har!

@helpicantfly That's good food for thought. Base Abilities will be chosen during the leveling process (spend a point, get a spell), but the Traits thing is something we're fooling around with. And one gained from an experience like @Talin outlined (woe to @Finjinimo indeed) is a scenario for us to ponder...

TheWizard
    I'll SMITE you
    @TheWizard ;
    So what if your actions upto gaining that skill point you have earnt add extra trait/s to your options?

• XeruXeru Posts: 93 Adventurer
    Will there be effects upon a Trait for Mastering a Trait/Skill and the potential for Cross skills to coincide with that?

IE mastering the Traits of Deflect Arrow and Spear Toss could become Trait Return Fire, in which you catch and throw back an enemy's arrow back at them?
  • SingmeAsongSingmeAsong Posts: 12 admin
    We're planning on there being ways for you to increase the effectiveness of some traits via certain nodes in the class talent trees. Those "increases" could range from the simple 5% now = 10% & has a chance to slow the target to things closer to your example Xeru.
  • FinjinimoFinjinimo Posts: 259 Hero
    I really love all the traits in CKII:  http://www.ckiiwiki.com/Traits

Partly because even when they have positive, they also have a negative attached to them somewhere. And partly because it's through these traits that personalities in that game emerge. Why did my brother raise an army and attack me? Oh, it's because he's got the lunatic trait... and also the syphilis trait, which he got from his wife, who got it from me. Fair enough, bring it on little brother.

The traits in that game are built up or lost over the duration of a characters life and feed directly into the narrative you build around a character in your head. They help you see them more as characters and less as numbers in a spreadsheet.

...jiggly bits...
  • XeruXeru Posts: 93 Adventurer
    I agree with Finji's plan of action and this should be equally incorporated, though we shouldn't discount traits that are also purely statistical or purely mechanical in nature as well. I feel traits that are character based, stat based, item and equipment based, skill based, action based, and house based should be the 'categories' of traits available

Character Based: Finji's Lunatic Trait
    Stat Based: Strength + x%, potential negative stat for higher level traits
    Item: Using item gains bonus effect/ability to use special item type/ability to treat non-items as throwing weapons
    Equipment: increasing parameters while wearing X type equipment/ability to equip X type equipment one couldn't normally equipment/ability to wield multiple weapons/wielding one handed weapon with two hands/modifying equipment traits/altering equipment slots/equip skill type of differing class type
    Skill: Gain x% bonus when using x type skill/double casting skills/charge up skill to increase power
    Action: Counter traits/Reactive Traits/Dodge Traits/Condition triggers
    House: Gain x% bonus to one stat and x% debuff to another when fighting rival House/ Increased defense when defending House/Bonus XP when defeating Rival House member/Epic Taunt skill that causes berserk at higher rate that standard berserk against rival House of lower level, etc etc

Examples but, these can also be intertwined to give character like Finji said also. I just feel these are the core category of trait types we will probably be working with.
    I like the thinking. A balance between "useful" (has a practical game effect) and character-driven is what we're after. Your combat prowess is the main game focus, but since this is a game about your character and his/her journey to being incredible, that part that separates from the spreadsheet, as @Finjinimo mentioned, is key. We'll have to run some of these by you as the system coalesces. 

To that end, if SOMEONE would get the next Game Dev Update out, we could talk about what's next... (looks at self)
    TheWizard
    I'll SMITE you
  • FinjinimoFinjinimo Posts: 259 Hero
    @TheWizard -- Less farting about on the forums Whizz-fizz, more Game Dev Update-ing.

*twiddles thumbs*

...jiggly bits...
    Fair enough!

If it's any consolation, we have been heads-down:

[] Renaming the game
    [] Whipping up the lore-y lore
    [] Combining the two prototypes I mentioned in the first Update to create The Playable Game
    [] Making enemy concepts like these guys:

Oh and this thread is about Traits, after all. Those have a complete full pass. I shall elaborate on both these baddies and the Trait system in the promised Update...
    TheWizard
    I'll SMITE you
    iNorganic
    @TheWizard
    any of these live on the zone in design quest ?
    @helpicantfly No reason why they can't. We do have these guys inhabiting a few of the already-designed Zones, but that doesn't mean they didn't migrate. Up to you really!
    TheWizard
    I'll SMITE you
    so bearcat could be on the zone then i like the one that looks like it is also growing it s own trees like its been formed by the two animals and the bushes it was standing in cool @thewizard  
    yeah I'm glad you noticed that (and liked it). Part of the concept there is that Chaotics take on the elements of their surroundings as they mature and get old and crazy (and aggressive). 
    TheWizard
    I'll SMITE you