Timers!

OK, I admittedly put an exclamation point on this thread because Timers aren't the most exciting thing in the world to talk about. But we still want your opinions. Here's the question-- given that this game is a sync turn-based game where you both make a move and then execution of that move is determined by Initiative, how do you feel about having a time limit to make your decision, both for PvP against another live player and for PvE, where it's AI-controlled monsters and such?

Pros, cons, goods, bads and past experiences are fair game here...
TheWizard
I'll SMITE you
Tagged:

Comments

• HeromasterHeromaster Posts: 11 Mendicant
    In live pvp generally want to keep the gameplay some what fast paced. 15-30 seconds depending on how many things I have to select. From telling a character to use an ability, guard, defend another unit, ect... Maybe through out alpha and beta testing having the game record how long it takes players to complete a turn. Fastest, slowest and average times. Because if you make the time to long then you might have one player waiting for what feels like forever.

Maybe have a selection of turn time limits to select from ranging from 15 to 45 seconds.
  • FinjinimoFinjinimo Posts: 245 Hero
    edited November 2015
    They're going to be essential in pvp, I think I would be more frustrated by their absence than anything their presence might bring.

People are jerks and will walk afk just to spite you. Turn timers help alleviate that. I imagine this game is gunna be pretty fast anyway yes? 10sec turns is probably more than enough to get all the info you need and to make the decision.

...jiggly bits...
  • TheWizardTheWizard Posts: 834 Wizard
    Yes, agree-- we can't have folks wandering off. And to Hero's point, we do want the gameplay to be fast-paced. We've already seen from our internal testing that (regardless of Finji's troll point) the game amps up in PvP when you only have a few seconds. What we'll test as we go is how long one needs to grok the info that's available to them and make a choice.

Though 10 seconds seems like a long time when you count it out to yourself, when you're stressing over a move it's very quick...
    TheWizard
    I'll SMITE you
  • DarggieDarggie Posts: 125 Adventurer
    edited November 2015
    Though 10 seconds seems like a long time when you count it out to yourself, when you're stressing over a move it's very quick...
    10 seconds is still an awfully long time to make a decision. Once you've got a decent grasp on all your skills and a basic understanding of the game, you'll most likely be making quick 1-2 second decisions and already have plans in place before the fight starts. If you can't make a 1-2 second snap decision, you'll generally have processed the info and made a decision in 5 seconds. If you can't do it in that amount of time, you've probably forgotten something, such as which move is strong or weak vs another and you're trying to remember. Which will most likely take longer then 10 seconds to do anyways. 

But it also depends on how long the battles would be. Are we expecting 10 turn combat?  If someone is being a dick and waiting their entire turn, with a 10 second time limit, that's a minute and 40 seconds for 1 fight. What if it's longer then 10 turns? For a mobile game, where most of the audience is going to be used to hopping on to a game for 5-10 minute sessions throughout the day, on breaks at work and such, any combat that takes over a minute to complete might push people away. 30 seconds - one minute are acceptable length battles in my opinion.

Now PVE doesn't necessarily require a turn time limit. That can be a place without a time limit allowing you to learn and study your moves. But it just depends, I don't really care if PVE has or doesn't have a time limit. Most likely you'll be able to figure out how to best beat something in PVE pretty quick and just choose your moves instantly.

But that's just my opinion on things. Whats everyone else's thoughts on my points? 
    They call me the Crier. No, I don't cry a lot. I deliver news you uncouth barbarian.
  • HeromasterHeromaster Posts: 11 Mendicant
    I agree PvE timers aren't necessary, it's PvE not like the npcs are gunna get tired of waiting and leave.

But with the Pvp I personally wouldn't mind if a fight that lasted 1 minute and 30 seconds. That's at least 5 fights in a 10 minute break at  work. I can see where some would want shorter fights. But the timers are just to make sure that "trolls" don't make you wait 30 seconds or more for a single turn. More than likely turns probably will take 5 seconds maybe less. I'd like a little extra time in case I tap the wrong thing, 10 seconds seems fair to me.
  • TheWizardTheWizard Posts: 834 Wizard
    You guys are making great points, and you hit it on the head @Darggie. I anticipate the same as you-- once you know the game, you'll make really quick decisions, and that's the intention. If anything, the timers are being instituted to protect the quick player from the guy taking forever-- while allowing for a decision that you may indeed need to agonize over a little bit.

And if someone wants to intentionally be difficult (which we've all seen in other games), shorter is better. It will be a balancing act, for sure.

With speed as a need, and protection from AFK as a need, it seems like we need them. For PvE, I agree with the points you're making-- if you want to lolligag in it, well-- that's up to you...
    TheWizard
    I'll SMITE you