Gatherings & Strangers

TheWizardTheWizard Posts: 789 Wizard
edited February 2016 in Role-Playing
The old man is satisfied.

It's been a hard few days, but the amount of progress from these few strangers gives him hope that they may be able to attract others and serve his true purpose-- which lies in the ruins not far away. The deep woods that line the clearing this little band has formed hide long-forgotten secrets that he just needs a little bit of time and cooperation to uncover. Then the area he senses he'll remember can be restored-- and with it, his connection to the time before the Collapse.

"It's a fine barracks, @Kjelfalconer, truly."

The old man looks the lodge up and down as @Boomvang emerges from within. Both men beam.

"In time, we should establish separate residences, but it's good for us to be safe for now. @Darggie should be back from his scouting in no time, and we should assemble in the courtyard this evening. It's time to outline a plan and welcome newcomers to our little bluff stronghold."

He chuckles at this. The wooden barricades they've erected around the outskirts of their few buildings hardly qualify as a stronghold, but they sleep a little better than they did those first few nights. Certainly better than the night @Evilteddy took on that ravenous bear as they huddled around the fire. Thank goodness for Embers, he thinks to himself. 

A few buildings are still going up, among them a blacksmith and a tavern as well as a tower. He keeps his few special belongings in the barracks, with the others, but the chest he keeps out in plain sight, in the middle of the courtyard. 

The group of strangers have become friends, despite varied backgrounds as distinct as his and @Docgeo's, and this is what the old man wants-- they will need a bond to overcome the days ahead. 

As soon as the group shares their various progress in and around the outpost, it's time to share the quest.
TheWizard
I'll SMITE you
Tagged:

Comments

  • KjelfalconerKjelfalconer Posts: 99 Adventurer
    "Well, I suppose now that I've got this place together I should fire up the forge. Although sooner or later you will have to cave and tell us something about yourself, you know," he added to the infuriatingly enigmatic old man. "I don't suppose any of you found any materials worth mentioning around here, did you? At least the bear should make a good cloak. Hmm, Im sure I can use the claws for something too, but what...?" Kjel trailed off, momentarily distracted.

    "What colour fur does the bear have?" he asked suddenly, to a moment of confusion. "What? It's not like I can tell. Blind, remember?" There was an awkward pause. "I... did mention that, didn't I? No? Ah." He lifted the brim of his hat, usually obscuring his eyes. "I have no idea what they look like, but the last person to see them screamed. So I keep them covered." It was easy to see why. A brand covered his eyeline, as though tatooed in a fiery orange ink, without stopping for the eyeballs.  He slid the hat back into place. "So where were we?"

    "Now remember kids- If you don't use environmentally friendly technology, a giant technicolour inter-dimensional ghost squid will come down from space and eat everybody."
  • TheWizardTheWizard Posts: 789 Wizard
    "It's a dark brown with flecks of gray, good blacksmith," the old man replied, "and as sorry as I am for the loss of your sight, I am grateful for your help here at the Outpost.

    We've found some odd metals on the outskirts of the outpost, near in the forest, and @Darggie has a special eye out as he scouts for veins of metal or useable detritus. Let's hope he returns with more materials for you to use as we build. Reinforcement of the walls and tools will be needed for us to prepare our living space here."

    The forge is coming along, and seems days from use. If the blind blacksmith has skills, he will be invaluable for the survival of the Outpost. 

    "And I appreciate your patience as I've determined your intentions and a time to share our purpose. Your wait is at an end, and we will begin in earnest upon @darggie's return."

    TheWizard
    I'll SMITE you
  • BoomvangBoomvang Posts: 40 Adventurer
    After looking around at the little community that has sprung up, Boomvang nodded to himself with approval. Being more of the solitary type, Boom has taken to keeping to the watchtower more and more to help the group in one of the few ways he is able. Having developed a keen sense of observation has kept him alive so far, along with pure brute strength and a shrewd mind for military and combative endeavors. @TheWizard, @Darggie, and the others all have their specific skills to add the little conglomeration of misfits....perhaps this might just work after all.
  • DarggieDarggie Posts: 125 Adventurer
    Scouting around, he uncovered the ruins of an elder castle. Toppled towers lay throughout the courtyard, covered with growth and flora from the many years it has lain in ruin. While exploring the ruins, he jotted down notes and information.

    While exploring he uncovered a few underground passages, torches and sconces dried out due to the years of isolation, and an unusual stench creeping up around him. 

    Deciding against exploration at this time, Darggie heads back to report his findings and check out how the progress is going back at the camp.
    They call me the Crier. No, I don't cry a lot. I deliver news you uncouth barbarian.
  • TheWizardTheWizard Posts: 789 Wizard
    "Welcome back Good Crier," the wizard nods at @Darggie as he re-enters the camp. The group assembles to hear the scout's report, and the old man rubs his beard thoughtfully.

    "Yes, yes. That sounds like the place. We are indeed nearby the focus of our purpose."

    "Our purpose?" @Kjelfalconer steps forward, rubbing his blackened hands on his smith's apron. "You've had me churning out these strange posts, and I don't know what they're for. The time for mystery is over-- let's hear this purpose of yours."

    "You're right, Kjel, and I apologize for my cryptic words early on." The wizard gestures broadly. "You are all either exiles or adventurers, new to this land and wondering what dangers and profits it might have for you. To you it is a wild, untamed place, with only the every here-and-there outpost like ours dotting the coast. I knew it as something very different. Something regal. Something special."

    @docgeo perks up at this and nods at @Soxrobin. His story could use a good next chapter.  

    "This ruin that our scout has found holds within it a key-- not the key-- but a key to bringing this land back to its former glory. The stories you've heard of beasts in the inner reaches of this place-- chaotic things, magic things, dragons-- they're true. And it's not just beasts. There are intellects. Many intellects who've crossed over and overrun this continent for their own purposes.

    Thankfully, the ruins nearby haven't been found by the ones with organized intent. But it sounds like the chaotic ones have, if the stench @Darggie mentioned is as thick as he described. I'm guessing it's a Fledgling, but we'll have to see. Let's hope it is, because I imagine we'll be more than a match. If it's a Primordial, though, we will be in grave danger.

    It's time to act. Will a few of you join me for a closer look?"

    TheWizard
    I'll SMITE you
  • BoomvangBoomvang Posts: 40 Adventurer
    Boomvang mutters something that the group perceives as "I'm in" as he rises and stretches.
    TheWizard
  • DarggieDarggie Posts: 125 Adventurer
    "Of course I'm in, but it would be nice to get a little more information on what to expect. These Fledglings and Primordials. They don't sound like things we should be approaching without some knowledge or plans."

    He gets out his dagger and a whetstone and starts sharpening the blade. "If I know what to expect, I can be scouting out a few minutes ahead and make sure everything is safe."

    They call me the Crier. No, I don't cry a lot. I deliver news you uncouth barbarian.
  • KjelfalconerKjelfalconer Posts: 99 Adventurer
    "A look is a mite insensitive, wouldn't you say?" said Kjel, tipping his hat slightly to illustrate the point, though his smile betrayed his true feelings. "I think I might tag along too. I could do with some fresh air." He paused. "No need to sound so shocked. None of you noticed I was blind, after all. I can more than handle myself."

    "I'll need to get changed though. This is hardly adventuring gear."
    "Now remember kids- If you don't use environmentally friendly technology, a giant technicolour inter-dimensional ghost squid will come down from space and eat everybody."
  • TheWizardTheWizard Posts: 789 Wizard
    edited February 2016
    "Then by all means, we will be better for your company, Kjel," the wizard pats @Kjelfalconer on the back, and-- just for a moment-- the smith can see through the old man's keen eyes. "I think you'll be just fine," he says with a wink.

    "Now then, these ruins you found, they were once the Seat of House Regal, an organized city-state that held influence over this entire area. They were also one of the architects of the Collapse, but not by intention. If my memory holds, deep within its bowels lies the knowledge of the first Summons, but I don't know what form that knowledge takes... or if it's still there untouched.

    What I do know is that we will have to be prepared if in fact a Chaotic has taken this place for his own. If it is a Fledgling, we're dealing with something like a sleeping bear. It won't actively pursue us unless threatened. If threatened, it will rip a man in half. As ridiculous as this sounds, that's not what I'm worried about. I'm worried about the presence of a Primordial. A Fledgling eventually takes on aspects of its surroundings as it ages into a Primordial. It adopts features from flora and fauna, using its environment to grow in size and power. Unfortunately, it also becomes more hostile, aggressive and unthinking. 

    As you said @Darggie, we'll need a plan, but I will share that as we venture out. Grab your gear and let's go. When you're ready, we'll depart..."

    TheWizard
    I'll SMITE you
  • TheWizardTheWizard Posts: 789 Wizard
    The band puts together their gear. Though the assembly isn't exactly a warparty, the steely gaze of @boomvang and the stance of the blacksmith @Kjelfalconer exude a quiet confidence that come what may, they would secure their place on this land.

    "You will need two things on this expedition-- resolve and trust. The resolve I already see in you, but the trust needs to be in my memory and knowledge of what we'll encounter. If a Chaotic is indeed within these ruins, it will need to be overcome. Cast your mind for a moment."

    And with that the wizard raises his hand, palm out over the group and an image enters their minds.



    "Depending on the age of the beast, they will be bear sized... or house sized. In addition, if the Chaotic has moved from Fledgling to Primordial, their penchant for violence is increased. A lot. That said, are you still in this?"
    TheWizard
    I'll SMITE you
  • BoomvangBoomvang Posts: 40 Adventurer
    edited February 2016
    "Bear sized ...or house sized" says @TheWizard. Boomvang thinks to himself....either a sleeping robe for one or one sleeping robe for each of us...NICE!
  • DarggieDarggie Posts: 125 Adventurer
    "Well...." He says as he sharpens his dagger, "I may need a bigger blade. If we do encounter one, I can attempt to draw it's attention and keep it distracted from the shadows while keeping some distance. If I am able to do that, I trust the rest of you will be able to move in and engage it?"

    He looks around eyeing the people gathering together. 

    "Because getting it's attention isn't something I want to be doing for an extended period of time unless we are sure we can tackle the beast. Otherwise skirting around it may be a better option."
    They call me the Crier. No, I don't cry a lot. I deliver news you uncouth barbarian.
  • BoomvangBoomvang Posts: 40 Adventurer
    Skirting....skirts...have not chased one of those in a long while either thinks Boomvang.
  • KjelfalconerKjelfalconer Posts: 99 Adventurer
    Kjel wasn't exactly dressed like a smith anymore. He'd swapped the apron for, not armour as many might have assumed, but full close fitting leather, with a downright ludicrous number of knives strapped to it, all forged in the shape of little wings. He twirled one in his fingers.
    "I would't worry. The bigger something is, the more room it has for weak points. Though without encountering one for myself I'd only be hazarding guesses as to where. Shall we be off then? It won't kill itself." He paused. "I'll glean your name off you yet, you know."
    "Now remember kids- If you don't use environmentally friendly technology, a giant technicolour inter-dimensional ghost squid will come down from space and eat everybody."
  • TheWizardTheWizard Posts: 789 Wizard
    "Indeed you will, Kjel. Indeed you will..." The old man looked wistful for a moment before composing himself.

    "Well now-- let us be off!"

    And off they go, a small band of explorers, intent on the quest for knowledge about the First Summons (whatever that means, @boomvang thinks to himself). True to his scouting, @darggie leads the group about a half-league into the wilderness before they come upon the ruins, but that's not where the wizard takes them in. Instead, he beckons to them to move around the outside of the toppled castle to the South, where a steep dropoff is traversed to find an opening in the side of the hill. Sconces line the entrance to whatever lies beyond, but they have the look of artifacts-- they haven't been used for ages.

    The old man gestures subtly and a gust blows into the entrance. The sconces all light immediately as if they've been tended recently with good fuel. @Evilteddy looks suspicious and hesitates.

    "Come on then-- I can sense the Chaotic, and he is not in our way. For now..." The wizard beckons to his friends and steps in.

     
    TheWizard
    I'll SMITE you
  • EvilteddyEvilteddy Posts: 60 Adventurer
    He watches them follow this @TheWizard down into what will most likely be all of their deaths, before taking a couple swigs from his ale punch and reluctantly following them. 
    As they walk into the depths Evilteddy ponders to himself, "This group is way too optimistic about what a daemon hunt entails, then again I was too during my first hunt.  Took thirty of us just to kill one lesser imp, and only 4 survived it, this party is far to small for such a task as we are about to face." Pausing to take another swig of ale, "How many years has it been since I last fought a daemon? Fifty, no judging by how long these ribs are taking to heal it has to be over one hundred years now.  Well at the very least I should be able to collect a enough blood to make a gallon of Daemon's Blood Ale and restore myself once again.  If we are really lucky and kill the beast I can use its heart to make much more Ale"  Evilteddy grins darkly at the thought of making enough Daemon's Blood Ale to extend his life another hundred years or so. "But this @TheWizard worries me how does he know so much about the daemons? All of the other hunters I know of are long since dead, and none other who have drank the Ale have lived till morning.  I need to keep a close eye on him, he is a dangerous man."
    What's better then making good beer?
    Drinking good beer!
  • joekyjoeky Posts: 52 Adventurer

    Though trained in the art of stealth, beads of sweats still form on Joeky's forehead and is slowing streaming down stinging his eye occasionally. Twitching his eye in effort to brush off the sting did little help. Tasting sweat, Joeky's murmured :"I would have one hell of a time slicing you off" as he feel for his Kanata on his sides."1...2....3...4",Joeky counted, "YOU should be honoured that I brought my Trusty 4..."

    Cloak in darkness, Joeky focus his every single step, feeling with his toes before forming a foothold. One wrong move and the element of surprise would be gone. Before he could take another step, Joeky felt movement from behind. Hair standing on its end, Joeky froze in his movement and slowly put his palm on the ground. Steadying his breathing and focusing on his inner Eye, Joeky count : "1,2,3,4,5,6...7, 7 Men..."

    Are they after me or the Hunt? This is getting interesting...Joeky smile... 

      

Sign In or Register to comment.