The Face of the Enemy (art feedback)

That's admittedly a bit dramatic for a thread title, but I want to get some feedback on art. We have a race of NPCs in the game who are from the Otherworld (not native to Embermark). Unlike a great many of the beasts and monsters that have unwittingly come across the Breaches after the Collapse, this race is organized, militaristic, and intent on invasion. Their generals and officers are well-trained and organized.

And you're going to fight them.

That said, you will notice that they are not human. Given the brief description I just gave, let me know which treatment(s) on heads you like and why...

TheWizard
I'll SMITE you

Comments

• FinjinimoFinjinimo Posts: 245 Hero
    I like the less humonoid ones, longer snout, bigger spiky bits. The uglier the better. Colours don't bother me, but I think I like the more muted tones more. Seems more natural I think.

I always stuggle with Suspension of Disbelief when a new race is introduced and I'm told they come from a completely different planet, or dimension or whatever... but they still end up looking pretty much exactly like humans anyway. So, humonoid sure, if you like, but the further you push away from human faces the more badass I think they become.

Do we want to identiffy with them or should we fear them? Are they strictly NPC or is it possible they may end up as a player race at some point?
    ...jiggly bits...
  • TheWizardTheWizard Posts: 830 Wizard
    edited February 2016
    Great points, all, and good feedback, thanks Finji. To your point about color, we're doing these studies to see both what looks cool on the page and what looks interesting in the Battle environments that they'll occupy (thus some of the more exotic colorings). We're tending towards the muted as well, but plan on seeing some more of these asks from me in the coming days.

As far as Suspension of Disbelief, you nailed it-- couldn't agree more about folks that look like us, though I do really like some of the shorter snout dudes. Don't be surprised if you see both in the game (no waste and all that jazz). That said, wait till you see the bodies that @BIGDIRTYmitch is working on. I'm hoping your SoD is satisfied. We will, of course, need @Drakythe's approval as well...
    Finjinimo said:
    Do we want to identify with them or should we fear them? Are they strictly NPC or is it possible they may end up as a player race at some point?
    BOTH (no that's not a copout-- I am, as you know, a wily wizard despite my often vacant stare). But they will be NPCs at first and some of the early narrative drama in the game has them at the center.  Remember, though, that this narrative will be player-determined, and I will outline how that works as we design the system.

TheWizard
    I'll SMITE you
    Yeah cool, I tend to lean towards the different and less-used character types so if they did become available I'd absolutely give them a crack. I tend to only play humans when there is nothing else interesting available.

...jiggly bits...
    Well, you will be human in the early days. But have no fear, there will be lesser used Classes and Specialties and Traits and Marks, oh yes...
    TheWizard
    I'll SMITE you
  • SmarmyGrinSmarmyGrin Posts: 5 Mendicant
    For colors and feature together I prefer row three image 2,3,4 row five image 2 and row six image 2,4
    Ah, nice, @SmarmyGrin, we're zeroing in on a few of those ourselves. What is your opinion on the snout?
    TheWizard
    I'll SMITE you
    I like the look of both of them, but the one with the larger snout says humanoid dragon better to me.
    which do you hate (as a player in this world) the most? (i.e, you wanna FIGHT them)
    TheWizard
    I'll SMITE you
    The ones without the snout are more sinister.  I'd rather fight them. The ones with the large circular nostrils look friendly-ish
    Make 'em ugly wizzy. Butt ugly.
    ...jiggly bits...
    Yes, yes, Mr Finji, we're on it. There will be butt ugly folks out there. Our team agreed with @SmarmyGrin on the friendly-ish piece. We're going with the hateful baddies for this particular race, but still exploring the others. I've got some more concept art coming your way soon and will need feedback. 

In the meantime, what about the colors? Any you hate/love?
    TheWizard
    I'll SMITE you
  • KingkobblerKingkobbler Posts: 23 Adventurer
    Personally, I really like the non snout ones, they look much more imposing, more intimidating, and among those I like the more colorful models, think the Blue/green one, in some spikey, royal blue plate armor, with a  cape or the like, hell yes lol, my two cents ;)
    Something like this?

TheWizard
    I'll SMITE you
    Nice!!, looks awesome!, very militaristic, definitely intimidating lol!
    yes, we're experimenting with their look, but I'll share some of their lore in a bit, too. Essentially, these guys are the organized baddies (where much of what you will find and fight in PvE are chaotic crazies). These are bent on taking over, and they assimilate humans, elves etc into their ranks as they take over...
    TheWizard
    I'll SMITE you
    More uglier. More spikey bits.

Also, the straight bi-pedal look... I'd like to see them less close to human form, maybe a little more serpantine, or stacked in a way that makes them look less like a human with a lizard skin on top.

I'm pushing for something less human-ish wizzy.
    ...jiggly bits...
  • TyraelTyrael Posts: 7 Mendicant
    agree finji and add some scars too .
    some big nasty looking scars ,maybe this guy has lost his one eye, maybe one ear or maybe one horn..
    it gives more character i think when npc has some war marks on.maybe some body paints too like tribal mark...
    Yea, maybe more scaley, but the further towards the lizard you go, the less organized military force feel it has, and more like a horde, think it's a pretty good balance myself, but that's the point of concept art too I guess lol