Mmmm, Secretz

TheWizardTheWizard Posts: 836 Wizard
edited February 2016 in Game Development Discussion
This thread is for discussion about secrets-- you've all already been piling on this ideas for other aspects of the game, but there is a topic that if you've played anything I've worked on, you know I love-- SECRETS. Some I've hidden have been in comic books or graphic novel applications, some in codes, some in forums discussions (in fact, there's already one in this discussion), some in the games themselves. I'm a fan of Easter Eggs, and the answer to @joeky's question is a resounding-- YES (about secrets anyway, not sure what our comic book plans are yet). I promise you there will be secrets and they will lead to loot & lore.

Thus, let's talk about secret things you've found in other games, ones you've enjoyed, ones that drove you insane, etc.

You first! 

TheWizard
I'll SMITE you
Tagged:

Comments

• XeruXeru Posts: 93 Adventurer
    Not really a secret but, can we talk about the Waterfall in Earthbound and how simply blissful it was?

As far as secrets, can we differentiate between what kinds of secrets, and how secret dependent some games are?

You might be asking what secret dependent games could possibly exist. And Then I'd point you to the Suikoden series that literally is made of many secret characters though some are less secret than others.

My fave secret ever is prolly how effectively well the FF series abused secret bosses. The best prolly being Yiazmat(The only worthwhile part of ff12 tbh)

But anyway, there is a difference between Glitches, secrets, and Easter eggs

Fire Emblem probably used secret characters the most effectively.

The .Hack infection series is literally a giant secret. Go ahead, try to play any of them without spending days upon days trying to find the secrets that are hidden and you get no clues about.

• joekyjoeky Posts: 56 Adventurer

Secrets, don't we LOVE them to be lock in our skeleton closet, and Hate it utterly for others to uncover them!!!

am thinking along the line where "secret mission" may be given to any one of us during a Joint Boss fight; where the secret mission is "not so align" with the overall Boss fight quest objective or Guild quest....e.g kill one of your team or lose the fight purposely or sabotage a fight....personnel rewards (more) vs team rewards (lesser)....choose between morally upright vs kins betrayal.....

Joeky 

• TheWizardTheWizard Posts: 836 Wizard
    Xeru said:
    Not really a secret but, can we talk about the Waterfall in Earthbound and how simply blissful it was?

As far as secrets, can we differentiate between what kinds of secrets, and how secret dependent some games are?

Good point-- I'm mostly talking about Easter Eggs here... hidden messaging, codes that give rewards, things to hunt and find, things that deepen your enjoyment once figured out, that kind of thing.
    TheWizard
    I'll SMITE you
    I vote for these two ideas as secrets potentially 

1. Defeating a series of bosses in a specific order within a 24hr period. Perhaps in honor of Suikoden, there are 108 of them?? :open_mouth: 

2. A secret you can cash in once where the longer you wait, the bigger it is so its worth to wait :))

3. I posted earlier Truffle idea but, what about secret rare drops that require enemy sequences to acquire?

4. Comics + Secrets. Have vague hidden messages in comics that lead to a hint to a secret :))
  • FinjinimoFinjinimo Posts: 259 Hero
    wat r the codes
    ...jiggly bits...
    TheWizard
  • DarggieDarggie Posts: 125 Adventurer
    I like easter eggs more then secrets. 

Like The Continuum, or Midnight star tributes on item descriptions. Plus Alex Seropian is part of Industrial Toys, and I know the marathon guys love to put little tributes to Marathon in other games. :D 

Those are the kind of "secrets" I like. 

Secret items and quests are cool too, as long as the rewards aren't cray strong compared to other items. It's unfair for someone to have an advantage over other people because they, possibly by accident stumbled onto a secret. 

An interesting idea, which actually requires a question to be answered. Are you guys implementing a title system of any kind? For example, if there is a PVP, the top PVP player might get a title of Champion. Which is purely cosmetic. If so, a secret questline may grant a title. This is something others would be impressed to see, but wouldn't adversely affect combat. 
    They call me the Crier. No, I don't cry a lot. I deliver news you uncouth barbarian.
    Definitely, @darggie. Titles, ranks, etc. We're working on that system now, and there will be good forms of recognition not just for performance, but effort, community activity, etc.

I get that you wouldn't want something that was OP just because it was hidden, but what about visual treats or currency? Sounds like you're good with the lore-based stuff or nods to our other games...
    TheWizard
    I'll SMITE you
    I feel both Continuum comics and a new Exiles comic Secrets and/or Easter eggs would be fun, especially if they are sequential secrets like random NPC says something to comic, comic has hidden marker to a new location with a new NPC that requires an answer to a comic based riddle and answering it leads to another panel marker and so on
    on my fave secrets are the ones that take a long time to decode and riddle through
    I'm totally cool with getting visual treats and stuff. 
    They call me the Crier. No, I don't cry a lot. I deliver news you uncouth barbarian.
    I'm glad you guys are saying that... because there's already a bunch of the build into the game, hehe. The philosophy is about MORE and FUN, not "you gotta find this or you're at a disadvantage." 

Are there some other Easter Eggs or searches for codes in other games, that you really loved and added to the overall experience?
    TheWizard
    I'll SMITE you
    I think fake outs and Excaliburs are the best kinds of secrets for me i've seen

Fake out: Also know as the timewaster, I find these very fun and clever. The Fake Out is quite simply, a fake secret. Or rather, a seemingly fake secret. Like the joke weapons that, if you don't sell them, there will eventually be a master swordsman who loves mops and turns it into a mythical...well...mop. The other variation of the Fake Out is basically the endless key. Which is simply, a long, complicated and intricate cavern that you explore, beat a boss and finally, get to the chest, only to find it's a key or a piece to something that you have no idea where it's hidden or how to get it.

And the Excalibur. Also known as the 'why can't i get this damn sword' secret. Originally the Master Sword of Link to the Past, this is an item that's in plain sight. Big, mythical whatever. However, when you try to take it, you get a cryptic message of the requirements to get it, none of which make sense until you are told of the lore later. 
    TheWizard
  • FinjinimoFinjinimo Posts: 259 Hero
    codez!
    ...jiggly bits...
  • joekyjoeky Posts: 56 Adventurer

Fake Secrets / Codes....that would definitely be the Talk of the TOWN....

give them something to rave about would definitely keep them glued to the game....just like Continuum...

• SpacegoatsSpacegoats Posts: 20 Adventurer
    If there's not a secret location known as the Haven somewhere in this game, the wrath of the Spacegoatian Empire will be upon you!
    Grand leader of the glorious Spacegoatian Empire!
    Secret? The haven should be a legendary place for all to meet and trade stories!
  • TerheytTerheyt Posts: 37 Adventurer
    There better not be a secret location known as Haven, that place better be front and center! 

The Spelling, Punctuation and Grammar Clan will never fall to the Spacegoatian Empire!

First among the Smitten. The few, the proud, the slightly squished.
  • SpacegoatsSpacegoats Posts: 20 Adventurer
    Oh very well. As long as it makes it into the game the Spacegoatian Empire shall be pleased.
    Grand leader of the glorious Spacegoatian Empire!
    Every time I read "Spacegoatian Empire" I laugh out loud.

As far as Haven, it would be front and center if a certain Smited Someone would begin the appropriate thread in the RP forums).

/taps foot
    TheWizard
    I'll SMITE you
    Spacegoats
    Give me a break, I've had a rough week. The thing about having to talk to the Child Sex Crimes Unit was not a joke. And we're auditioning for my next play Monday and Tuesday, which means I'm in final rewrites on my latest script this weekend. 

Keep going with the current storyline and exploring that cave, I'll jump in when I'm ready. Smiting me again won't help hurry me any. :p

Ter
    quietly motions @Finjinimo to stick a firecracker under a certain tapping foot.
  • KjelfalconerKjelfalconer Posts: 99 Adventurer
    Don't worry Ter, I've been holding down the fort for the clan. Y'know, just in case the LU BU EMPIRE RECRUITING FOR THE COMING WAR ever resurfaces. Gods I hope so. ^^;
    "Now remember kids- If you don't use environmentally friendly technology, a giant technicolour inter-dimensional ghost squid will come down from space and eat everybody."
    Me too, Kjel. Would be classic.

In the meantime, everyone-- @Finjinimo's keen powers of perception detected some "drops" from me in the Touch Arcade demo video. I can't help myself. BUT, @Terheyt, do not fear. The web of Secretz throughout this game will be fun and rewarding, not maddening and evil. I... promise? (I don't).

TheWizard
    I'll SMITE you
    I long ago learned what to expect from your promises. There's "soon" which means "sometime between years from now and never". There's "fun and rewarding" which means "crazy-making and will consume days if not months of painstaking detail-combing and brain-wracking". And finally, there's "new roleplaying sandbox to play in" which means "will consume every waking thought as soon as I jump in". 

I'm on to you, Wiz.

ter

/admits that's a solid glossary of terms...
    TheWizard
    I'll SMITE you