You all are killing it
in the Design Quest
so far, with ideas about the landscape, inhabitants and even history of the Zone
. In this thread, we will focus on the Zone's history. As I mentioned in the original brainstorming thread, this is a little bit unfair in the absence of some Lore-ish bits for you to sink your teeth into, so I will outline a few points that you should use in this thread to build some history for this very special Zone.
- Long (long) ago, the entire continent of Embermark was the very cradle of civilization. Vast empires, cultivated lands and prosperous towns were everywhere.
- Conflicts between city-states rose up, as they tend to do, and wars intermittently ravaged various areas of the continent.
- The methods used in one of these wars weakened the boundaries between worlds, causing what came to be known as the Collapse, when monsters, untamed beasts and invaders entered the land.
- Basically, everything fell apart and was overrun.
- Something stemmed the tide, which will be revealed later, but there is no longer full access to this world from theirs.
- Today, many years later, the continent is used to send criminals and ne-er-do-wells to in exile. They eke out an existence and even start to rebuild, finding lost pockets of civilization that never left, went underground or assimilated into the new order brought about by otherworldly invaders.
- This Zone has a Breach (weakened area where beings can sometimes pass from one world to the other) near its borders.
To get started, think about what once was here in this land. What happened? Where there conflicts, peace, multiple states? None? What went on for the eons prior to the Collapse? What has happened since?
Remember, you are invited to throw anything that you fancy into this thread. If you need clarifications on anything, throw out questions as well as ideas. After we brainstorm a bit in each thread, I will compile the ideas that rise to the top and we will discuss those specifically to get down to what we'll ultimately use.